Not including premarket, or after-hours, the market is only open for 32.5 hours a week. The current hours the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Unlike the forex market, The U.S. Stock Market are closed on certain Holiday's. Typically if the Bank or Post Office Is Closed, There is a Good Chance The Stock Market is closed As well.
In 2020, there are 9 Holiday's that the Stock Market is Closed.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1 — New Year's Day
- Monday, Jan. 20 — Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Monday, Feb. 17 — Presidents' Day
- Friday, April 10 — Good Friday
- Monday, May 25 — Memorial Day
- Friday, July 3 — Observance of July 4, Independence Day, which occurs on a Saturday
- Monday, Sept. 7 — Labor Day
- Thursday, Nov. 26 — Thanksgiving Day
- Friday, Dec. 25 — Christmas Day
Stock Market Open During Bank Holidays
There are you only 2 holidays that the bank or some fund companies observe, and the stock market is still open. There might be less liquidity and market participation on these days.
|Columbus Day||Monday, Oct. 14|
|Veterans Day||Monday, Nov. 11|
Stock Market Closing Early
The Stock Exchange sometimes close early, either planned or unplanned basis. There are 3 times the Stock Market Will close at 1 p.m Eastern Time.
- July 3rd (Day before Independence Day)
- Day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday)
- December 24th (Day before Christmas)